Thursday, August 27, 2015

Everything's a scam, but a reasonable one

The train ride to Kandy started with the tuk-tuk ride to the train station. Imagine a 25hp motorcycle, put a wrap around widshield on it that is big enough to go around the whole bike, then finish it with some stretched canvas and you have half the equation. The other half is the driver. Minor could hardly see. Scrawny ol guy with cataracts. His first words to me were that he had a problem, he was poor, and his wife was very sick in the hospital. The ride is supposed to cost 300 Sri Lankan rupees which is about $2.50. So I gave him 1000 rupee bill and asked for 500 back. He performed quite a good show of handing me 100 rupee bills and a couple 50 rupee bills. Long story short, I paid 700 rupees for the ride so more than twice the going rate. It was $5. Seemed alright by me.
















View from my hotel room. I'm at the Queen's Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment