Friday, August 28, 2015

Everything's a scam part Ii

The train station was confusing. I speak neither Tamil nor Singhalese so I have to wait for the third part of any announcement which is in English. Turns out, the best information comes from this guy that just walked up to me. He's giving me hand signals to stay in place in the ladies waiting room so I do. A lot of other tourists are there, too along with regulars who take the train all the time.

This guy stands out cause he's well dressed, clean, and has good teeth. He also signals me that he is deaf. After waiting with me and all the other tourists in the station -- 25 maybe, he helps me get on the train and with my luggage which is one very heavy suitcase 36 kilos so 80 lbs. how did that get so heavy? Back to this guy. Just as the train is slowly pulling out of the station, this guy thrusts a piece of paper under my nose. He's with a school for the deaf and is collecting donations. I see a whole list of names, countries, and the amount of 1000 Sri Lankan rupees which is about $7.

I figure that's pretty darn fair for making sure I got on the right train.

No comments:

Post a Comment